Sunday, March 20, 2016

Cleaning the Black Plastics with silicon Brake Fluid?

Hello,

It was a COG forum post that got me to try out this restoration of my black plastics.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=63983.msg514462#msg514462

So I thought I would try it myself.  I found this bottle at AutoZone for <$11.  Not cheap.  I had been using ArmorAll products before this so I knew how long/short that treatment would last.

So while I had my fairing off to be replaced I began to treat the black plastic parts of my bike.

I used a foam 'brush' to apply drops of the fluid to each piece.  And I mean, drops.  A few drops go a long way as you sweep it back and forth across the plastics.

Here are two YouTube videos of the product in action:
Brake Fluid luggage treatment 1
Brake Fluid luggage treatment 2

Here are still pictures showing this difference between treated and untreated parts.







 




And the dash needed a wipedown also .  First, the inside area was treated.  And then the top side was dealt with but only half of it.  There you can see the difference in color between the untreated and the treated side.



  

The side deflectors got the treatment also.  Drying time for all pieces is minimal but they don't actually dry to the touch.



Of course, 'your mileage may vary' is the phrase we say to consider how your own plastics will take to this process.



No comments:

Post a Comment