Sunday, July 10, 2011

Adding Power Outlet to Dash

I decided to add a power outlet to the dashboard to charge our GPS, or our Midland wireless Bluetooth intercoms, or our cell phones.  The previous owner already had wired in heated grips.  I had to devise a wire harness that allowed the outlet and the grips to stay connected.  I did not choose to add a FuzeBlock or other multiple device connection.

 




So with a plan in mind I purchased the following items:
- spools of 14 gauge wire in two different colors
- power outlet from Radio Shack [EnerCell brand]
- 14 gauge crimp terminals and plugs from Menards - multipack had both in it
- 1 1/8" foerster-style drill bit [Spade bits do NOT work]
- heat shrink tubing 

 The selection of the drill site is important.  You want to drill in a place that does not have wires or other supports behind it.  I put tape down first and measured three times until the tape did not cover anything else behind the dash.

Here is the cycle with the upper fairing removed and the drill site marked with masking tape.




With the drill bit in place, cut through your markings on the tape.  Be careful not to push too hard through the material.  Let the bit do the work and stop once through.
 The finished hole can be deburred with a hand file if you wish.  Depending on the power outlet you buy, you may or may not need to do anything else to the hole.

I had to make a reference cut in the side of the hole so the outlet would not turn within the hole.
Then I inserted the wires for the outlet into the hole to bring them down to the accessory connections.  The connection to the outlet comes later.

I made my connection harness out of the terminals and the 14 gauge wires.  I crimped the terminals and plugs.  I checked my connections with the heated grips and the charger for my GPS.  No fuse blew so I thought I was okay to seal things up.

Then I used my wife's hair dryer to heat shrink the tubing.

 You can see the socket in place on the dash here.

 A closeup of the installed EnerCell socket in my dash.
And here's the finished product with the upper fairing reinstalled.

No comments:

Post a Comment